- Testified before the DC Council about the Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Amendment Act of 2016, Vision Zero Act, and Vision Zero rulemaking. (And both Acts passed!)
- Testified at the Snowzilla roundtable convened by the Council, focusing attention on what the city could do to improve accessibility for pedestrians (especially those with limited mobility) after major snowstorms.
- Participated in the National Transportation Safety Board Pedestrian Safety Forum.
- Advocated for specific provisions in the Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety Amendment Act of 2016, which was signed by Mayor Bowser on July 25, 2016. These included the pedestrian and bicyclist priority area program and making more collision data available.
- Regularly met with Ward councilmembers to help drive momentum behind pedestrian safety legislation.
- Brought DDOT, MPD, and Council staff to two fatal crash sites on Wisconsin Avenue: Calvert St and 37th Street NW, and Wisconsin Ave and Veazey St NW.
- Raised awareness of dangerous sidewalk closures near construction sites on social media by using the hashtag #DCwalkblock
- Mobilized voters with letter-writing campaigns to councilmembers.
- Featured in multiple news stories:
We are proud of what we’ve accomplished so far this year and hope to continue the momentum into 2017! Stay tuned to hear about our next campaigns.
All Walks DC advocates for citywide solutions to make the District of Columbia a place where walking is celebrated and respected as a basic human right. It is run entirely by a small group of dedicated volunteers and every donation counts towards helping us continue advocating for pedestrian safety. Donations can be made here.